The Buried Church from Istria commune, Constanta county, was built by Bulgarians in 1857. The religious edifice is half buried and the stones used in its construction were brought from the ancient fortress of Histria. During the invasions, the Turks decided to bury the church one meter into the ground because it should not have been mixed with their mosques. The building of the church has a cross shape and is one of a kind in Romania because of its architectural style and construction techniques.
The Buried Church is a historic monument.