Gheorghe Martinuzzi Castle from Vintu de Jos, Alba county, is a historic monument built between 1546 – 1551 on the ruins of a Catholic monastery, erected at the beginning of the 14th century.
The Castle was built in Renaissance style by Gheorghe Martinuzzi, governor of Transylvania, bishop of Oradea and cardinal. The edifice had many owners across time and also faced many Turkish attacks. In the communist period it was nationalized and was used as a storage house, a furniture factory or a meat factory.
Nowadays, the Castle was given back to the Roman-Catholic Church from Alba-Iulia, which does not have the financial resources to restore it. Thus, only a few ruins exist today from Martinuzzi Castle.
Foto 2: Sebastian Ionuț Vasiu