The Poenaru Fortified House of ”kula” type from Almaj commune, Dolj county, was built in 1764 by the boyar Barbu Poenaru. In 1801 and 1844 the kula was set on fire and it lost its first floor, which had not been rebuilt. In 1904, the kula was donated by the descendants of the Poenaru family to the Almaju village hall to be made a school. Subsequently, the original building of the kula was enlarged by adding more classrooms. Thus, the original kula is now integrated in the village`s school. Close to the school there is also the “Saints Voivods” Church, built between 1787 – 1789 by the same boyar, Barbu Poenaru.
The Poenaru Fortified House is a historic monument.