The Lainici Monastery is located 32 kilometers from Targu Jiu, in Jiu Canyon. In the 14th century Nicodim from Tismana was sent in Valachia to support Orthodoxy and this is the time when, the Lainici Monastery was probably built. In 1817, the Turks destroyed the holy edifice, which was completely restored in 1926. A new church was built in 1990, located in the monastery`s courtyard. This church is one of a kind because of its architectural plan and mural painting. Here, Christians can see the holy icon of The Virgin Mary, which was brought from the Athos Mountain in Greece and was especially created for the Lainici Monastery.
Christians from all around Romania come to this wonderful monastery to pray, meditate and relax in a peaceful and holy environment.
Video Source: www.youtube.com